Saturday, November 26, 2011

Audiobabble

Yesterday I pulled up to my sister's house just as they were getting ready to go to Joe's Diner to take advantage of a Living Social coupon, so I hopped in the van and joined them. An audiobook was playing and I tried really hard to pick out some words, but when I started hearing things like "smash the pancake" and "skunk in soccer universe," I knew it was futile. I even thought I heard "Potter" and was convinced I got one word right, but since I was hedging my bets and thinking it was a Harry Potter audiobook, all I did was demonstrate the power of suggestion. The audiobook was, in fact, from the Percy Jackson series and Harry Potter does not have a cameo.

It gave me a neat idea, though. I decided to pop in one of the Harry Potter disks and see what words I could pick out from the audiobabble and then, in a few months when my implant is activated and my brain is hopefully processing sounds more efficiently, I'll listen to the same passage and see what, if any, difference there is. So I popped into my computer disk 11 from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and turned up the volume. It started at Chapter 24b "Malfoy's Manor," and this is what I got -


Blah blah blah blah blah blah … Said … blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah … blah blah blah … blah blah blah … blah blah blah … Get …. blah blah blah … blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah … Said Ron … blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah … I want you to … blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah … blah blah blah … blah blah blah … She asked … blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah … group of pains … blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah …world book… blah blah blah blah blah blah … chair …. blah blah blah blah blah blah … blah blah blah
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blahwalking postcard … blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blahHarry, Harry Potter … blah blah blah … books that you blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah … blah blah blah … means …. blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah … gray back … blah blah blah … blah blah blah blah blah blah ... said Hermione … blah blah blah … said Ron …blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah moves the night … blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

Yep, that's what it is like for me to listen without the benefit of lip-reading or good context cues. This is what I hear when announcements come on over a loudspeaker, when I am in a class at the gym, when I am with a group of people having multiple conversations, when I try to pick out lyrics from songs.

Between my lip-reading abilities and a skillful, yet prudent, employment of the "deaf nod," I bet I fooled a lot of people over the years into thinking my hearing loss is not that severe. Didn't I? Admit it! :) Several years ago, one of my sister's friends asked her, "Is Carolyn's hearing getting worse?" and Kelly replied, "No, she has just stopped pretending!" I'm really, really good at faking it.

MTC.

5 comments:

  1. I love you, and am rooting for you. It is good that you are not pretending anymore. My ex-husband became very hard of hearing about 6 years into our 25 year marriage, and he always pretended to hear what I said, and I would later find out he pretended when I would mention what I said previously. Needless to say we both would get very frustrated.
    I, myself, have been experiencing some hearing loss, and am finding I pretend to hear what I couldn't. I know I need to make a better effort at it. No one wins in these type of circumstances. It takes honest effort for everyone to hear and be heard.
    You are strong. You are passionate, and whatever outcome you have with the implant, you will survive it. Keep writing, I'm reading your words, and I identify with them.
    And, I'm here for you...
    JMJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, with my implant I hear "glarb glarb glarb glarb glarb!" but with lipreading it's good. But then you have to remember that I haven't heard for about 48 years. The brain cells needed to process it, are gone.

    Meanwhile, my wife is making as much hellish clamour as possible clashing dishes in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jan and Pierre. Pierre, were you born deaf?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an expert at the deaf-nod. But you forgot to mention your use of "dumb blonde" in high school and "I'm from another country". Where you from Sweden? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. not born deaf, lost it at about the same age as Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete