Sunday, January 8, 2012

Expectations

Been a long time since I blogged. I haven't felt like it, honestly. A friend of mine posted an article yesterday about expectations and it really hit home for me. Not just my own expectations, but those of others. I had so many people so excited about this and so many people convinced that "with my brain" (I heard those three words a lot) it would be a breeze, that no one, including me, really understood how difficult it would be.

Truth? I don't like wearing it. I miss my hearing aid. It gets better for a day or two and then everything sounds painful again. I often cringe when I have to put it on. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning and remember I need to put it on, I feel depressed and defeated.

I look back and I can pick out two moments when I felt like my progress was measurable - Christmas Eve at my brother's when I felt like I was following the conversation better than usual (which could have been because I was trying so hard) and the night at the reindeer in downtown Richmond when we heard a band playing in the street and it actually sounded like music.

Two moments out of 30 days.

Most of the time, I tell people I'm making progress because I know that is what they want to hear.

Am I hearing more? Yes. Am I hearing better? No. Most of the time, everything hits me in a din of unrecognizable sound. My brain, the brain that everyone thought would do so well, doesn't know what to do with it all.

I hear beeps, clatters, whistles, more clatters, and the hums! Who knew so many things hummed??

And good heavens, when I scratch my head, it's crazy loud!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I hate it when I don't know what the noise is. But it's gotta get better. I like having mine. I'm not adapted to it yet but I do like having it. So I'm sure you'll learn to like it. That said, you DO need a "low volume" setting for when it's noisy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn

    Where were you implanted? MCV or St. Mary's?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK...this is totally sounding like a programming issue. Sean at MCV is the pro to beat all. PLEASE make an appointment to see him. You should NEVER have been turned on as loud as you were, to begin with. This is supposed to be a very very slow process. Will you call him?

    ReplyDelete